Being Involved in an Accident and Your Next Steps
Being involved in an accident can be very upsetting. It can be a frightening event, especially to those injured. If you or a loved one have been involved in a car accident, it is crucial to contact a well-trained Monroe personal injury lawyer right away.
Beyond the property damage, car accident victims have to deal with the traumatic and devastating effects of the incident, both physically and financially. Medical expenses would pile up, depending on the severity of the car accident injuries. As such, you will need a local attorney who can explain the legal process of how to file a claim, pursuant to relevant injury and accident law in your state.
What this article will focus on are the following:
- Common Causes of Car Crashes
- Determining Liability in a Car Accident Case
- Steps to Take After a Car Accident
- Seeking Legal Assistance from the Right Law Office
Common Causes of Car Crashes
The broad term motor vehicle accidents could refer to an automobile accident, a bus accident, a motorcycle accident, or a truck accident. However, regardless of the size of the vehicles involved, those injured in the accident have the right to pursue an accident claim for the emotional distress and physical pain and suffering that one has to deal with after the auto accident took place.
For car collisions, some of the most common causes include the following:
- Distracted driving, such as fiddling around with the car radio, eating and drinking while driving on the road, texting friends, or looking up directions on your smartphone
- When the eyes and mind of the driver are not focused on your driving, be it due to lack of sleep, intense exhaustion, or fatigue on the road
- Driving recklessly, or driving while intoxicated, or driving under the influence of drugs
- Operating a defective motor vehicle on the road, such as those with bad brakes or a broken steering component
- Failing to give the other person the right of way, accidentally making a dangerous left turn at an intersection, falsely assuming the other car will stop at a yellow traffic light, or illegally driving through a red light
In order to make the most out of a car accident lawsuit<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>, it is best to be assisted by car accident attorneys specializing in accident claims and recovering compensatory damages. This is particularly crucial if the other party is insisting there was no fault when there was, in reality, negligence or carelessness from his or her end.
Determining Liability in a Car Accident Case
When you have been injured in an accident due to the negligence or wrongdoing of another person, recovering damages may be difficult. As such, you need a credible and compassionate Monroe car accident attorney knowledgeable in pertinent personal injury laws.
An aggressive personal injury lawyer will gather evidence, show that another party caused the wreck, and pursue that party and their insurer for compensation. They can help you protect your rights and help you collect compensation after an accident.
After seeking immediate medical attention necessary for bodily injuries, speak to a legal professional who can stop the at-fault party’s insurers from taking advantage of you during the settlement process.
Liability of the Drivers Involved
Any of the drivers in car crash may share fault, depending on the circumstances of the auto accident. However, the drivers often involved disputes about who had the right of way.
A hard-working car accident attorney will closely investigate your case, including the condition of the vehicles involved at the time of the accident. This will help determine who shares in the liability.
Liability of the Vehicle Manufacturer
Under relevant product liability laws, personal injury victims can hold manufacturers liable for damages caused by their products.
If one or more of the vehicles involved in the collision contained faulty components, such as a stuck accelerator or bad brakes, vehicle manufacturers might share partial or even total liability for your losses and injuries.
You will need a lawyer who will collect key evidence crucial to your personal injury case.
Liability of Another Driver
In general, the driver who caused the accident has a legal obligation to remain at the accident scene. However, this does not mean that they will. In some cases, the at-fault driver in a car accident can evade the actual car crash.
By talking to witnesses and documenting the immediate aftermath of the car collision, you may help your Monroe personal injury attorney identify any liable party that left the scene and did not take responsibility.
Steps to Take After a Car Accident
In most personal injury cases, there is tremendous physical pain and suffering that one has to deal with after an auto accident. Add to this the emotional distress that the victim and their loved ones have to go through.
Car accidents often happen too quickly. Accident victims would often feel overwhelmed and disoriented right after the incident. However, these are the things that one must attend to after the crash:
- If you have been injured in a car accident, seek medical attention, whether for yourself or anyone who sustained a severe injury. Most serious injuries are time-sensitive. This means that a few minutes delay can make the difference between life and death. Since all these will factor into your personal injury claim, it is crucial to get good legal counsel.
- After seeking the necessary first aid and medical treatment, call or have someone call the police. Have a police report created. This report is essential for an insurance claim. Additionally, it will help make the careless, reckless, negligent, distracted, or drunk driver who disobeyed traffic law<span style=”font-weight: 400;”> liable in court.
- Exchange relevant information to parties involved. Traffic laws require all drivers involved in an accident, regardless of fault, to stop and immediately exchange license and insurance information.
- Seek reliable legal aid. Start by looking for law firms that employ an effective case-management system and ensure that your personal injury case moves smoothly from start to finish. Choose a law office that provides attentive client service and consistent feedback. These will improve the likelihood of a successful filing.
- Take as many videos and photos as possible. Important details can be challenging to remember afterward, mainly if you will be preoccupied with seeking medical care for your bodily injuries. As soon as possible, furnish a copy of whatever notes or documentation that you have gathered to an experienced Monroe personal injury attorney who will handle your case.
Seeking Legal Assistance from the Right Law Office
For many reasons, it is essential to immediately contact a local attorney who is well-versed with personal injury laws. Below are characteristics that you should look for when seeking legal help:
- The best lawyers are those dedicated to securing total and fair compensation at the negotiating table. Entrust your case to someone with extensive experience providing legal representation, going to court, and dealing with insurance companies.
- An excellent personal injury lawyer takes time to listen to every detail about the case and responds to clarifications once all relevant information is gathered. They organize facts and evidence, helping accident victims determine the best options for seeking maximum compensation.
- When seeking legal advice, speak to someone knowledgeable on how insurance companies work and how they set a settlement value for a particular case. They can comprehensively explain relevant personal injury laws and the compensation that automobile accident victims may be entitled to.
A trusted personal injury lawyer in Monroe can provide the legal assistance that you need.
Contact us at E Orum Young Today!
If you were injured in a car accident, make sure to seek legal assistance as you try to seek compensation that you are rightfully entitled to. It is not possible to promise a specific recovery or accurately predict the dollar value of an auto accident lawsuit. However, knowledge of the type of damages involved can help determine the value of a car accident case.
We know that this is a difficult time for you. You will need an attorney who will take the time to understand your situation. Our professional team at E Orum Young will look into your case closely and do our best to help you with matters related to recovery compensation and injury claims.
Call us and consult with a credible and top-tier personal injury lawyer who can help your healing process through passionate legal counsel and representation. Contact our Monroe personal injury law firm for a free consultation.